Thursday, January 3, 2013

Here we limbo

Since the law was signed banning all US adoptions from Russia, I haven't been able to stop reading about it and trying to get as much information as I can.  Unfortunately, there isn't much to be had.  Right now we are in somewhat of a holding pattern still until the Russians come back from holiday around the week of the 7th (or 14th depending on who you hear it from).  Our government is urging them to at least follow the treaty that was signed in November that says they need to at least give a year of notice if they are going to back out of it.  Also, I'm reading that some of the lawmakers there are working on an amendment that will allow for special needs children to be adopted.  Personally, I think it's crazy to think that the US parents are fit to adopt their special needs children but not the other children??  But, they haven't really asked my opinion...that being said, however, most of what I have seen says that amendment won't even make it out of committee due to lack of support.  Remember that it passed three readings in parliment overwhelmingly, so that doesn't really surprise me. 
So...that leaves us waiting for at least the next month to see what happens.  I believe that it will truly take a miracle for this ban to be lifted (and I know that is definitely possible!), but Jeremy tends to think that because of foreign policy and how Russia will be seen by other countries and other things that it will be lifted.  If he is right, and they lift it, then we will continue on our journey and pray for all to continue smoothly.  If they don't lift the ban now (who knows when it could happen), we will most likely pursue other options.  We don't want to wait indefinitely for something that may or may not happen.  I really feel strongly that I don't want the boys to be so much older than her so that she is more like an only child.  So, we have looked at other international programs, but honestly none of them really feel right or feel like what we are looking for.  So, we are considering a domestic adoption.  There are many questions to be answered with that as well.  It's so hard to know what to do, when to do it, how to do it, etc.
For now, please pray that we will be clearly led in the direction we need to go.  I would also ask that you pray that even if this ban doesn't get lifted, that those parents who have actually met their child  be allowed to finish the process.  I can't imagine how heartbroken those parents must be.  Thank you for all the love, prayers, and support that you have all given us.  We know that will will get to the other side of all of this, and in the end we will have the little girl that is meant to be part of our family, whether she is from across the world or down the street!!

No comments:

Post a Comment